Saturday, 23 February 2013

nnedi recommends #1


my favourite quote p.39 "And in that moment, I swear we were infinite."
BOOK: THE PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER BY STEPHEN CHBOSKY
- definition of a wallflower (noun) - a shy person, who is frightened to involve themselves in social activities and does not attract much interest or attention.

A new series of posts that I like to call 'Nnedi recommends..' in which I recommend a product/item that I've been loving recently and that I'd like to share with you all.
I'm sure that most people would have heard about this by now seeing as the movie came out recently and was a huge success. I haven't actually watched the movie myself but I plan to buy the DVD soon-ish. I have a habit of reading the same type of books; extremely girly, love story, girl wants the guy whose already taken blah blah blah and always written from a girl's point of view. So after being recommended this book to read by my best friend, I thought now would be a good time to broaden my horizons when it comes to reading. 
The book is written in a series of letters written by the main protagonist, Charlie, in which he discusses his day-to-day highs and lows when going through high school as a "wallflower". The kind of thing most of us would go through as a teenager such as, falling in love, not fitting in, making new friends, trying new things, hard family life, trying to get good grades etc. What I love about this book is that Charlie is genuinely a nice person and quite relatable in some cases, which makes him so lovable as a character and makes for a really easy read; I was able to finish it within about 5 days and all I could say when I finished it was: "Wow". It's quite an emotional book although not a particularly sad one, just a book that really does make you think about life as it's pretty deep. 

Q: have you read this book or watched the film? what are your opinions on either or both?

5 comments :

  1. I had been planning on reading the book but I can never find a copy with the original copy. I don't know why I wont settle of the movie cover book haha. I have watched the movie way too many times and have fallen in love with it! This is the first time I watch a movie before reading the book. I plan on reading this very soon. Thanks for recommending it! :)
    http://ingridtalks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I can see you're from America, you can get the original copy off the UK Amazon website.
      Ahhh I can't wait to watch the movie now seeing as you enjoyed it so much ! I hope you like the book just as much :-) xo

      Delete
  2. I've actually watched the movie for this and I didn't really enjoy it :\ it wasn't the worst, I just was pretty bored throughout. I just don't think it's my kind of movie (I either like something girly, like you, dramatic or with some type of action). However that doesn't put me off trying the book, often movies are just not as great as their original books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that's unfortunate, I'm hearing such mixed reviews about it recently like how the movie misses out important sections of the book..
      But anyways I highly recommend reading the book, it's amazing! xo

      Delete
  3. great blog !
    www.3fstreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment :-) xo